Contests are a great way to get followers on social networks in no time. But not all networks work the same nor is easy to make users to follow you. What are the actions that get the glory in no time?
Fun. A wake-up call. A challenge. Look for a message that includes any of these elements and avoid the draws with expensive gifts. A few years ago were spectacular: a Mercedes, a trip to Kenya … Now people look more recognition. Most of the time, the success of a contest due to how the concept is designed rather than on the gift.
Here you are 4 contest plugins for WordPress you and your followers will love:
Let’s start things off with a simple option. The Pick Giveaway Winner plugin enables you to create a giveaway option on any WordPress post and helps you pick a random winner randomly from those who comment. It’s a no-frills, basic way of running a quick contest to get started with.
- Uses the MySQL RAND() function to pick the winners.
- Can automatically reject contestants who enter more than once, or merge their entries.
- Multiple entries can also be permitted.
- Identifies contestants via their emails.
- Specify a particular amount of possible winners.
- Use the “Pick winners!” function to end the contest when you’re ready.
The ContestFriend plugin is more socially themed and designed around the opportunity for contestants to increase their chances of winning by sharing contests with their friends. You’ve got options to set contest duration at the outset, and controls for keeping tabs on how your contest is performing in terms of numbers of participants throughout.
Along with attracting traffic to your site, ContestFriend also places an emphasis on growing your email list virally via integrations with MailChimp, AWeber, CampaignMonitor and GetResponse.
- ContestTheme has sharing features for Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Google+. You can manually modify the number of entries rewarded to participants for each of their shares.
- Take advantage of a solid range of customization options for contests: unique headlines, custom media, and multiple layout options are all supported.
- Use the email verification function to confirm the identity of contestants.
- Email lists can be exported to Excel.
- The number of potential winners can be specified in advance.
- Fully responsive design.
If photography is your thing and you want to set up a specialized contest to reward users willing to share their work publicly, this plugin is the one for you.
Our options until now have covered chance-based contests, but skill-based competitions are an equally valid way of driving more visits and leads. Organizing a photo contest is pleasantly straightforward with this plugin. Simply install, visit the relevant tab in the admin, set your duration, rules, and prizes and you’re good to go.
- Select between open voting (all site visitors are allowed to take part) or limiting voting to participants.
- Social sharing is possible via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+ and Tumblr.
- You can limit the number of entries per contestant.
- The entries gallery can be easily customized.
- Option to show a leader board with the top entries.
- You have the option of reviewing each submission before it’s included in the contest in order to enforce competition guidelines.
- Contestants can register via their Facebook, Twitter or Google+ profiles.
- Internationalization options are possible – the plugin is available in English, Czech, Dutch, German and French.
In order to start using the plugin, you must register on the Rewards Fuel platform, where you can opt for the free tier or the paid alternatives.
It’s worth pointing out that this is a relatively new plugin on WordPress.org with comparatively few reviews, ratings or downloads so far. It’s a solid looking solution but you may want to kick its tires on a test site first before looking to integrate on live.
- Contestants can submit entries by commenting but also have the option of entering your competition by performing other social activities. Options you can target include Instagram tagging, Instagram following, Twitter follows or re-tweets, visiting a link, Facebook event joining and more.
- You get access to detailed statistics about contestants with demographic and location info powered by Google Analytics.
- You can choose to automate contests entirely via a built-in scheduling function.
- Automate contests entirely through a scheduling function.
- Contests can also be hosted directly on the Rewards Fuel platform if you don’t have a WordPress site set up – an unlikely scenario but nice to have all the same.
- Fully responsive design.
Find 3 more contest plugins for wordpress at elegant themes